The geometry column is back and this time the moodboards are dedicated to the square. Enjoy!
Geometry has two great treasures: one is the Theorem of Pythagoras; the other, the division of a line into extreme and mean ratio. The first we may compare to a measure of gold; the second we may name a precious jewel.
1) My favourite box shelves. If you’re looking for quality and design you can address to Fab, that is always my first choice. You can customize your shelf in infinite ways: size, materials, colour. There are similar and more affordable objects online, but it all about what you’re looking for.
Anyway I really love this company, even if I have been disappointed by Fab choice to stop selling other brands design in Europe, still continuing in the USA.
>> Box shelves by Fab
2) A metal and glass terrarium, totally handmade by Matthew Cleland, who creates many other beautiful glass sculptures, lamps, hanging vases.
>> Score + Solder Small Cube
3) Table and chairs in solid oak built entirely by hand: lightweight, resistant and built to last for a long time. As their design, so essential, but not minimal: perfect for never getting tired. These furniture are amazing also because they are designed to be assembled by a series of joints, avoiding the use of toxic glues.
>> Cubi by Plinio Il Giovane
4) When I was a child I had a Cuboluce pink lamp on my bedside table: thanks mom! I used it to read, of course, but even more to practice with the Chinese shadows play, directing the beam of light toward the wall behind me. The Cuboled is the modern version, with almost zero consumption.
>> Cuboled di Cini&Nils
1) A notebook that you won’t lose in your bag, as long as you are wearing a shirt, of course. Because Tasquino is made to fit the shirt pocket, instead of the (too) classic handkerchief. Again, this is a handmade product: take a look at the entire website, you’ll find a lot of curious projects.
>> Tasquino by Semiserie and Sons [via Frizzifrizzi]
2) Recommended as a bed sheet, tablecloth for the table or for a picnic, even dress: in short, for any use you can think of. A beautiful color and printing, as well as the whole series. You’ll get lost on this website, I know.
>> Caroline Z Hurley Square dots linen throw
3) Little architecture to wear, amazing! Available in sterling too.
>> Cube Drop earrings by Pico
4) A new version of the timeless Post-It, that will make you smile ad every use.
>> Monster Post-It
1) Floral ice cubes to be put in summer cocktail.
>> Edina Ronay + Cubi di ghiaccio giganti di Lékué
2) Handmade sugar scrub.
>> Henry Happened
3) Free cube crochet pattern.
>> Mrs Purple su Ravelry
A treat to close this post: a Rai scuola video about the square, including Bruno Munari explaining how to use various materials squares to create objects + an animated version of Flatland! [in italian only] >> vai a Rai Scuola